- Quality, durable espresso machines
- A ton of convenience
What they don’t necessarily deliver is a cheap morning routine.
In response to the market opportunity for more affordable Nespresso compatible capsules, several companies have sprouted offering consumers alternatives to the name brand product.
One such company is Gourmesso.
Is their product worth your time?
This is The Coffee Maven’s official Gourmesso review.
Table of Contents
Who is Gourmesso?
Gourmesso is a Berlin-based company which sells Nespresso-compatible capsules for OriginalLine machines.
Whereas companies like HiLine Coffee Company were founded with the mission of giving you the best quality capsulized coffee, Gourmesso was formed to give you the most affordable capsulized coffee.
Related: HiLine Coffee Review
They even have a page on their website titled “Save Money & Enjoy Coffee.”
As almost any owner of a single serve coffee machine will tell you, the cost of those pods and capsules starts to add up.
Sure, it’s less expensive than paying $4 or $5 at Starbucks or your corner coffee shop, but a $15 one-pound bag of coffee beans will yield around 40 coffee servings at about $0.37 per serving.
Whereas Nespresso brand capsules tend go to go for around $0.75 per serving, Gourmesso capsules typically cost around $0.50 per serving.
In case bullet points are your thing, here’s that breakdown:
- Whole bean coffee: $0.37 per serving (depends on the quality/type of roast)
- Gourmesso capsules: $0.50 per serving
- Nespresso capsules: $0.75 per serving
Let’s look at the cost of Gourmesso capsules versus Nespresso.
At $0.25 savings per capsule and one serving per day, that’s $91.25 in savings per year.
Simply by switching to Gourmesso you can pay for your Nespresso machine in around a year and a half!
But marketing yourself as “we’re the cheapest!” isn’t the most flattering of business models. While Gourmesso does note the affordability of their capsules, they really like to stress the variety of their product offerings.
We’ll dig deeper into that in a minute, but first…
Where Does Gourmesso Get Their Coffee?
Gourmesso sources their beans from the major coffee growing regions around the world. By browsing all of their available roasts, I was able to pull together the following list of source countries:
- Costa Rica
Almost all of Gourmesso’s roasts are Arabica/Robusta blends, but they do have a couple that are 100% Arabica. In general, Arabica beans are superior to Robusta, but Gourmesso does this to keep their costs down.
What Products Does Gourmesso Offer?
Gourmesso specializes in Nespresso compatible capsules, but their products only are compatible with OriginalLine machines.
This is due to the barcode scanning technology on Nespresso VertuoLine machines.
Related: Nespresso VertuoLine vs OriginalLine
Gourmesso offers the following products:
- Espresso & lungo capsules
- Tea capsules
Let’s take a minute to highlight each.
Gourmesso Espresso & Lungo Capsules
Gourmesso offers 28 different espresso and lungo capsules. Most are blends from different countries, and most are Arabica/Robusta blends, but some are flavored/specialty roasts.
For the complete list, check out our compilation of the 6 best alternatives to Nespresso capsules. We have a whole section there dedicated to Gourmesso.
This is Gourmesso’s best selling coffee capsule product right now:
- *New look to our boxes, Same great espresso* ✔ SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We promise to go above and beyond to make you 100% happy - Contact us any time with any feedback or questions
- ✔ FAIRTRADE® CERTIFIED - All Gourmesso® coffee capsules contain a premium selection of our Fairtrade® Certified coffee - Sustainably made without any preservatives - See below for details
- ✔ OUTSTANDING TASTE WITH LESS EXPENSE - Excellent strong espresso with intense taste and great crema - Save +30% over Nespresso® coffee capsules*
- ✔ COMPATIBLE WITH NESPRESSO® ORIGINALLINE MACHINES* - Coffee pods are fully compatible with Essenza, Citiz, Pixie, Lattisima, U, Gran Maestria, Inissia, prodigio, KitchenAid, Creatista
- ✔ INCLUDES - ✪ Etiopia Blend Forte - 2 boxes - Intensity 10 ✪ Ristretto Blend Forte - 2 boxes - Intensity 10 ✪ Messico Blend Forte - 2 boxes - Intensity 9 ✪ Tarrazu Forte - 2 boxes - Intensity 8
Gourmesso Tea Capsules
Tea lovers, rejoice! Gourmesso has you covered.
They sell 5 different tea capsules for use in Nespresso OriginalLine machines:
- Rooibos Vanilla Infusion: African rooibos tea enhanced with subtle vanilla (caffeine free)
- Black Infusion: Indonesian tea, fairly strong and caffeinated
- Fruit Plum Infusion: Plum and cinnamon base enhanced with chokeberry and licorice (caffeine free)
- Green Infusion: Gunpowder green tea; caffeinated
- Herbal Mint Infusion: Herbal peppermint, chamomile, and fennel (caffeine free)
They also offer bundles combining all 5!
I’m an occasional tea drinker — I have a few cups per month — and actually enjoyed Gourmesso’s tea capsules.
However, because Nespresso OriginalLine machines are set to brew a maximum 3.50 oz lungo size beverage, you need to use their easy custom size feature to produce the full serving size you’re looking for.
That said, I really don’t know why anyone is using a Nespresso machine to make tea. It’s nice that Gourmesso thought of you tea drinkers out there, but just get some standard tea bags of your choice.
- ✔NEW BOX DESIGN - SAME GREAT ESPRESSO with a SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We promise to go above and beyond to make you 100% happy
- ✔ FAIRTRADE CERTIFIED COFFEE - All Gourmesso coffee capsules contain a premium selection of our Fairtrade Certified coffee - Sustainably made without any preservatives - See below for details
- ✔ OUTSTANDING TASTE WITH LESS EXPENSE - Excellent flavored espresso capsules with intense taste and great crema - Save +30% over Nespresso coffee capsules*
- ✔ COMPATIBLE WITH ORIGINALLINE MACHINES that accept Nespresso Capsules* - Our Coffee pods are fully compatible with Essenza, Citiz, Pixie, Lattisima, U, Gran Maestria, Inissia, prodigio, KitchenAid, Creatista Nespresso machines*
- ✔ Caramel Espresso - 1 box - Intensity 5 ✪ Vanilla Espresso - 1 box - Intensity 5 ✪ Hazelnut Espresso - 1 box - Intensity 5 ✪ Chocolate Espresso - 1 box - Intensity 5 ✪ Coconut Espresso- 1 box - Intensity 5
Or should I say, “Accessory.”
Though they advertise accessories on their website, all they sell is a descaler for your Nespresso OriginalLine machine. That’s well and good, but their descaler isn’t any better than anyone else’s.
Gourmesso Review: Final Word
Gourmesso is an established retailer offering affordable alternatives to Nespresso’s more expensive capsules, and like all Nespresso compatible alternatives they’re only compatible with OriginalLine machines.
If you want the best Nespresso compatible capsules and don’t mind paying upwards of $0.75 per serving, check out HiLine coffee. HiLine uses 100% Arabica beans — the best beans you can buy — and has a more freshly roasted product.
But if your prime directive is to cut costs as much as possible, Gourmesso is a great choice.