- Thermoblock 2010 pump heats and steams faster
- Height-adjustable dual spout; Fine foam technology
- Programmable coffee strength and temperature
- Easier, faster water filter programming during initial start-up
- Note: All Jura Automated Coffee Centers go through testing prior to shipment - therefore there are traces of coffee dust.
The Coffee Maven Conclusion
B+ coffee with A+ convenience: That’s the Jura ENA Micro 9 in a nutshell.
And that makes it one of my favorite automatic espresso machines.
How can I advocate for B+ coffee? It all comes down to what you want.
The ENA Micro 9 delivers true one-touch brewing with a high quality beverage, and that’s no small feat. It has an extremely intuitive and comprehensive user interface, which allows you to dial in your perfect beverage and then brew it in perpetuity at the touch of a single button.
If you’re looking for an espresso machine that allows you to fiddle with tamping and have a real hands-on experience, the Jura ENA Micro 9 isn’t it (check out the Breville BES870XL). But if you want a quality shot without any hassle, this machine is probably your best bet.
The Coffee Maven Rating: 9.1/10
- Design & Performance: 9.5
- Appearance: 9.2
- Durability: 9.1
- Quality of Espresso: 8.9
- Ease of Cleaning: 9.0
Jura ENA Micro 9 Review: Product Images
- Integrated grinder: 5 grind sizes with easy adjuster knob
- Bean hopper: lined with rubber to keep your coffee beans fresh
- Water reservoir: 37 oz rear-seating and removable reservoir
- Brew sizes: programmable buttons for espresso, long coffee, cappuccino, latte, hot water
- 15 bar pump: to extract a proper espresso shot
- Custom brew size selector: select water volume, hi/normal brew strength, milk volume
- Adjustable exit valve: accommodates up to 5.4″ cups/mugs
- Dose size selector: available as programmable hi/normal brew strength
- Temperature control: program brew buttons for hi/normal temp (shot only, not milk)
- Auto-Off: 15 min – 9 hours
- Spent puck drawer: 9 puck capacity
- Frother: nifty attachment to bottom of coffee exit valve
- Drip tray: tray slides out from base of machine
- Doesn’t come with frothing pitcher
Design & Performance: 9.5
With an incredibly intuitive user interface and a compact design relative to other automatic espresso machines, the Jura ENA Micro 9 scores extremely highly for Design and Performance.
Of particular note (especially if you’ve ever used a Jura ENA espresso machine before) the user interface has been improved over previous models, such as the ENA Micro 1 and Micro 5. It’s much easier to navigate.
Everything you need to brew the perfect coffee beverage with the push of a single button has been molded into a simple design that doesn’t take up much space on your countertop.
Read below in my Jura ENA Micro 9 review as I’ll touch on the standout features.
Any review of appearance and aesthetics is subjective, but I think this is an attractive, almost futuristic machine.
The exterior has a matte silver surface that’s resistant to fingerprints, and the top is a sleek, black plastic. While I praised the user interface above for being easy to use, it definitely has an archaic-looking, 1980s-style digital interface.
You won’t have any issues with the Jura ENA Micro 9 if it’s maintained properly.
Please note that cleaning can be a hassle with automatic and super-automatic espresso machines — I’ll detail this in the Ease of Cleaning section below — but it’s a necessary evil when owning one of these machines.
This model comes with a 2 year warranty (or 6,000 brews, whichever comes first) which gives you some peace of mind.
Quality of Espresso: 8.9
B+ in coffee quality, which isn’t necessarily an indictment of this machine.
You see, Jura is going for convenience above all else with the ENA Micro 9. Literally, this might be the simplest, easiest-to-use automatic espresso machine available today.
There are a few places where they opted to improve convenience and usability at the slight expense of espresso quality, but that can be remedied in large part by taking the time to dial in the settings to your specific tastes.
Set the temperature to High, set the brew type to Strong, and set the grinder to the finest grind possible, and I’m fairly positive you’ll be happy.
A trained barista will outperform the Jura ENA Micro 9, as will a more robust super-automatic espresso machine. But for the degree of simplicity and convenience Jura has achieved with the Micro 9, I’m very impressed with the quality of espresso.
Ease of Cleaning: 9.0
Relative to other automatic and super-automatic espresso machines, the Jura ENA Micro 9 is easy and straightforward to clean.
That doesn’t mean there’s little cleaning and maintenance to be done — no, you’ll have some work to do — but the ENA Micro 9 is designed in such a way to make that cleaning easy.
You still need to use a water filter or filtered water to reduce internal scaling. You’ll still need to use cleaning tablets to keep the inner components humming like new. You’ll still need to routinely soak and flush the milk foaming attachment to prevent any build-up.
Tons of easily customizable settings for each brew type
This machine’s best selling point its the wide variety of customizable settings, which allow you to dial in your perfect beverage.
The Jura ENA Micro 9 makes 4 types of beverages. You can modify the settings for each as follows:
|Brew Type||Water Volume||Brew Strength||Water Temp||Milk Volume*||Pause Time|
*Milk Volume is customized in dispense time (seconds) and not dispense volume.
You can program each of these settings within the following ranges:
- Water Volume: 25 mL – 240 mL (0.8 oz – 8.1 oz)
- Brew Strength: Normal, Strong
- Water Temp: Normal, High
- Milk Volume: 3 sec – 120 sec
- Pause Time: 0 sec – 60 sec (refers to pause between extracting shot and infusing milk/foam)
Mix and match those settings in 100s of different combinations to get something that’s truly your specialty drink.
Literally one-button brewing
It’ll take a few tries and several minutes to get the settings the way you like, but from that point onward it’s true one-touch brewing.
- Press the button for the beverage you want.
- Wait for the machine to brew it per your specifications.
It’s as easy as it sounds.
Bean hopper is rubber-lined to seal for freshness
The Jura ENA Micro 9’s bean hopper is lined with rubber around the edges, ensuring a tight seal to lock in freshness.
The grinder has 5 different grind sizes and works extremely well. You can also use the bypass to brew with pre-ground coffee, as shown below.
Frother is an attachment at base of dispensing nozzle
There’s no steaming wand with the Jura ENA Micro 9.
Instead, the machine has a milk frothing attachment that plugs into the base of the coffee dispensing nozzle.
Here’s how it works:
- Pour milk into a pitcher of your choice — it doesn’t come with one
- Connect the tube to the machine’s frothing attachment as show in the second image below
- Place the other end of the tube in the milk
- Press the cappuccino or latte button and wait for your beverage to brew
At first I didn’t like this frothing method. It seemed cheap, and the foam was merely above average.
But actually, it’s grown on me a little.
It’s a simple setup, the frothing attachment is easy to clean with the Jura’s rinse button, and it detaches easily for a more robust soak/clean.
You’ll still make better foam with a true steaming wand, especially one that gives you control over the frothing process.
Then again it wouldn’t be true one-touch brewing with super-simple cleanup!
Put the machine in Energy Save Mode or keep it on for instant brewing
The Jura ENA Micro 9 has an Energy Save Mode, which you can toggle on or off.
If Energy Save is on, the machine will turn the heating element off after 5 minutes. It’ll need to heat back up in order to brew a beverage or foam milk.
If Energy Save of off, the machine will remain ready to brew on demand until it’s switched off.
Other Awesome Features
- Switch display between mL and oz
- Switch display language between English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch
Temperature settings are limited
Noted above in this Jura ENA Micro 9 review, you can choose either Normal or High water temperature. I find that to be (a) a little limiting, and (b) a little vague. A lot of other automatic espresso machines, and even higher-end coffee machines, will give you more options and tell you exactly how hot the water is.
Honestly, I wish the machine could brew a hotter beverage, but you can counteract that by pre-warming your cup. If you do that I doubt you’ll have any issues.
In the end I was satisfied with the temperature on High, but I would have appreciated more granularity here.
Warning: Maintenance required
This isn’t a knock on the Jura ENA Micro 9. Instead, it’s a fact of life for automatic and super-automatic espresso machines. These things are investments and they require maintenance and upkeep.
- Use the recommended water filter if you don’t fill your water reservoir with pre-filtered water
- Clean the frothing attachment and milk tube after every single use
- Replace the milk tube after 6-9 months to prevent clogging
- Toss a cleaning tablet into the bypass doser every 180 beverages or when the machine tells you
- Dimensions: 9.0″W x 17.5″D x 12.7″H
- Weight: 21 lbs
- 220-240 Volts
- 1,450 Watts
- User Manual