- Patented "Cappuccino System" frother that mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth
- Easy-to-use rotary and push button control panel with programmable menu settings and beans container capacity is 8.8 ounces.Coffee grounds container- 14 cups or after 72 hours from first use. Maximum cup height- 4.25 inches
- Grinds beans instantly with the patented, compact and easy-to-clean "Direct-to-Brew" system. Use your favorite coffee beans to create your perfect espresso. Beans with less visible oil, usually a medium roast, are recommended for best grinder performance
- MAINTENANCE: De’Longhi machines require half the cleaning time of other brands, unlike competitor machines, which require chemical cleaning tablets monthly. The machine does not deliver coffee, but only water is caused due to ground coffee may be blocked in the funnel. Remove the ground coffee inside the funnel, using a plastic knife. Then clean the infuser and the inside of the machine. If machine is noisy refer manual; Energy Saving: With 3 hour automatic shut off
- Utilize De'Longhi's specialized call center for help in setting up and maintaining your machine at 866-528-8323 (LatteBest). Warranties may not apply to purchases from an unauthorized retailer
The Coffee Maven Conclusion
Probably the most reliable super-automatic espresso machine on the market, the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 is among the least returned espresso machines available. Users report low rates of failure and high rates of satisfaction. While not the flashiest super-automatic espresso machine money can buy, generally you can get it for a great price and enjoy fantastic, hassle-free espresso every day for years.
The Coffee Maven Rating: 9.2/10.0
- Design & Performance: 9.2
- Appearance: 8.8
- Durability: 9.5
- Quality of Espresso: 9.2
- Ease of Cleaning: 9.2
Pros of the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300
- Proven design with low failure rates and high reliability
- While lack of digital interface could be a con, it leads to better durability
- 60 oz front-removable water reservoir
- Dual heaters for espresso and steam means fast heating
- Pulls an awesome shot every time
Cons of the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300
- Not compatible with water filters
- Can’t brew and steam at the same time
- Steaming uses water quickly
DeLonghi ESAM3300 Review: Product Images
- Integrated grinder: Integrated conical burr grinder
- Bean hopper: 12 oz capacity
- Bypass doser: Located on top
- Water reservoir: 60 oz removable, accessed from front of machine
- Brew sizes: 1.5 oz – 8.0 oz in 5 oz increments
- Specialty beverage buttons: Single or double serving; no cappuccino or latte buttons
- Adjustable exit valves: Yes
- Dose size selector: 8 sizes
- Temperature control: No
- Auto-Off: Adjustable up to 3 hours
- Spent puck drawer: Yes
- Frother: Pannarello frother with separate heating element
- Drip tray: Removable
- Warranty: 2 years
Design & Performance: 9.2
The ESAM3300 combines superb reliability with an incredibly simple design that has every feature you need (plus a couple nice extras). It isn’t the flashiest super-automatic espresso machine on the market, but it’s a fantastic option for around $500.
Of note, the this model has 2 separate thermoblock boiler systems — one for your shot and a separate for your steamer. This ensures rapid heating without any unnecessary waiting. I’ll detail some of my favorite features below, but the Magnifica ESAM3300 scores highly the design and performance that’s made it one of the best selling super-automatic coffee machines on the market.
The external plastic casing isn’t the flashiest, and there’s no digital display that screams top-of-the-line, but the ESAM3300 looks like an espresso machine should.
This is one of the strongest grades I’ve given on any coffee or espresso machine review. Frankly, it’s the calling card and number one standout feature of this DeLonghi ESAM3300 review. Even though DeLonghi has unveiled newer, more updated models since the ESAM3300 debuted, it’s still one of the most fail-safe and best-selling espresso machines on Amazon. And that includes the $1,000+ models! (Related: Best Espresso Machine Under $1,000) If durability is one of the most important factors to you (like it is for me) then look no further.
Quality of Espresso: 9.2
The ESAM3300 pulls a great shot and gives you the ability to enjoy it with 8 different dose strengths from 1.5-8.0 oz. I wasn’t wholly enamored with the double shot button’s ability to pull a strong shot, but brewing 2 single shots is an easy workaround and delivers high quality results.
On the frother side, the included Pannarello steam wand is foolproof to use and easy to clean, but it does take away the ability for you to truly make microfoam. The workaround for that is to simply remove the black Pannarello attachment and manually steam your own milk. Either way, it’s A-quality foam.
Ease of Cleaning: 9.2
The front panel gives you easy access to the brew group and spent puck compartment, both of which can be pulled out and cleaned very easily. Proper cleaning and regular maintenance is of paramount importance to super-automatic espresso machines, the DeLonghi ESAM3300 makes it simple. A downside: this model isn’t compatible with any water filters, which means you need to use your own filtered water if you want to avoid frequent descaling.
Fact: The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 is consumer tested and approved
DeLonghi isn’t new to the espresso market. They’ve made a lot of different models ranging from Nespresso-capsule machines to full-blown, super-automatic behemoths.
But while DeLonghi keeps unveiling new models with modern improvements, one model continued to stand the test of time: the Magnifica ESAM3300.
Check out this snapshot from the machine’s Amazon page:
The ESAM3300 first appeared on Amazon 16 years ago yet it still ranks 9th in Semi-Automatic espresso machine sales (even though it’s classified as a super-automatic) with a cumulative 4.1-star rating.
(That’s actually a great star rating for an espresso machine. Most are in the mid-to-high 3.00s.)
Frankly, this model just works. It has everything you need, including a reliable design, and usually you can find it for a great price because it’s not the newest and flashiest model on the market.
But when you’re investing in an espresso machine, what do you want?
- Do you want to roll the dice on a nifty doohickey with space-aged functionality for over $1,000?
- Or do you want something that’s proven to work for half that price?
If you answered the latter, keep reading for our DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 review.
Super simple user interface
It’s easy for manufacturers to get caught up in their desire to offer you every adjustable feature under the sun. Sometimes it adds value, and sometimes it adds too much complexity.
Take the Jura Ena Micro 9, for example. I really like that model and think it’s a fantastic, durable, compact and reliable super-automatic espresso machine, but Jura made one of the more involved dial-control panels that I’ve ever seen.
Related: Jura ENA Micro 9 Review
The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 is the total opposite. What you see is what you get. There’s two knobs, some buttons, and a series of indicator lights, and really that’s all you need for a fantastic espresso time and time again.
Note: The image above shows two buttons labeled “1 or 2 shots.” It’s important to know how this works! Selecting the second button from the left (1 shot) will dispense one serving whereas the third button from the left (2 shots) will dispense two servings.
“Duh, Bryan. How stupid do you think I am?”
Hold your horses! The “2 shot” button means two of whatever size you selected with the water volume indicator. If you select a full 8 oz cup, you’re getting two of them.
Water reservoir conveniently slides out the front
Other machines are designed with the water reservoir in the back or on the top, and refilling them can range somewhere from mildly annoying to extremely difficult. The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 solves that problem by having a reservoir that slides right out the front-right side.
It’s incredibly simple, and very much appreciated.
Ask anyone who’s owned this machine what they thought about it, and you’ll probably get the same response back:
“Zero regrets buying that.”
This machine has extremely low rates of failure and is built extremely well. Seriously, you could own this thing for 6-7 years (or longer) of fail-free use.
Just take care of it!
The most frequent issue is with the lever that turns on the Pannarello steam wand — sometimes it breaks. However, you can buy cheap replacements and be back running without sending your machine in for costly repairs and significant downtime.
Can’t brew and steam at the same time
While the DeLonghi ESAM3300 does have two separate boilers to cut down on heating time, it still has just one pump. That means you can either pull your shot or steam your milk, but not both at the same time.
No digital display
In terms of day-to-day operations this isn’t a concern for me. However, it can be a little annoying if your machine’s indicator light is on and you aren’t sure why. Is your water reservoir not set properly? Is something jammed in the grinder? Put on your detective hat and figure it out.
Be careful not to overdo it when using the bypass doser
If you want to add your own ground coffee, the machine comes with a bypass doser on the top with an accompanying measuring scoop. Be careful not to add more than one scoop, or the machine might jam up. The one scoop provided is the proper quantity.
It’s a little louder than the average integrated grinder.
Related: The 5 Types of Espresso Machines
- Dimensions: 15.0″W x 11.0″D x 14.0″H
- Weight: 27.7 lbs
- Watts: 1350W
- User Manual
DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 Review: Final Thoughts
If you’re shopping for an espresso machine, what’s the most important thing to you? If you’re like me, it had better pull a damn good shot. After that, it had better be reliable. With the DeLonghi ESAM3300, done and done.
If the ESAM3300 meets your technical requirements and fits your price range, don’t hesitate to buy.