- Personal Cafe - Enjoy the freedom to brew an abundance of different options including: K-Cups, ground coffee, tea bags, loose tea and more!
- Single Serve - Fill the Pour-In Bowl with the desired amount of water and brew anywhere from 4 to 14 ounces
- Pulse Brew - Stop and start the flow of water during the brew cycle to extract a bolder and better flavored drink
- Easy Clean - Removable drip tray catches all drops for an efficient cleanup, every time.
- Dishwasher Safe - Drawers, Drip Tray, and Drip Tray Cover are top rack dishwasher safe. Rinse the Drawer(s) after each use!
The Coffee Maven Conclusion
Impressive functionality in a simple, compact design. While I’ll cover everything you need to know in this BUNN My Cafe MCU review, that pretty much sums up this brewer. Brew K-Cups, ground coffee, tea, or prepare simple hot water for hot cocoa, oatmeal, or to finish off an Americano — this little machine does it all in under 60 seconds.
It does have a few drawbacks specifically related to its compact design — most notably the inability to remove the water reservoir from the device — but this coffee maker will brew you a hot cup of your beverage of choice without a ton of hassle.
The Coffee Maven Rating: 8.8 of 10
- Design & Performance: 9.2
- Appearance: 8.3
- Durability: 9.0
- Quality of Coffee: 9.3
- Ease of Cleaning: 8.4
Pros of the BUNN My Cafe MCU
- Works for K-Cups, ground coffee, tea & hot water
- Brews in under 1 minute
- No paper filters needed
- 2 year warranty
- Coffee is hot!
Cons of the BUNN My Cafe MCU
- Unremovable 14 oz water reservoir
- Water tray is not removable
- No on/off switch
BUNN My Cafe MCU Review: Product Images
- Serving Size: 4 to 14 oz
- Water Reservoir: 14 oz unremovable
- Brew Speed: Under 60 seconds
- Warranty: 2 years
- 4 drawers to brew K-Cup packs of all brands, ground coffee, tea pods or bags, loose tea and more
- Removable drip tray to fit most travel mugs
- Paper filters not required; comes with mesh filter that you clean after each use
- BPA free
- Keeps water ready-to-temp for 6 hours before shutting off
- Pulse Brew option to extract bolder taste from coffee and to help steep tea
- Stainless Steel internal tank
- Programmable for high altitude use
Design & Performance: 9.2
Packed with features in a conveniently small design, the BUNN My Cafe MCU Single Cup, Multi-Use Brewer provides a ton of functionality. The drawer system (pictured below) allows you to choose your brew, and the Pulse Brew system can make your cup of coffee or tea even stronger. As someone who usually drinks their coffee on the go, I love the removable drip tray that helps fit my travel mug.
While the sleek profile is great, the look is rather plain and boring. It definitely isn’t the most stylish of kitchen appliances.
Overall, there aren’t many moving parts on this machine and that aids its longevity. The internal water tank is made of stainless steel and thus is of superior quality. Should you run into any issues, BUNN offers a two-year warranty.
Quality of Coffee: 9.3
This coffee gets hot, even after adding milk or cream. The Pulse Brew technology lets those who love strong coffee get something more to their taste, and overall the quality of the brew is impressive given this coffee maker does more than just make coffee.
Ease of Cleaning: 9.4
Removing the drawer attachments for cleaning is a breeze. However, the biggest complaint about cleaning is that removing spent grounds from the ground coffee drawer can sometimes be a pain. Unlike Keurig devices, there is no internal filter that needs to be replaced every few months. Should you run into a clogged valve, cleaning the internal components requires a little bit of precision (and a bent paperclip), but there is a great YouTube video that can help you with it.
4 Drawer Attachments for Multi-Use Brewing
The major selling point of the BUNN My Cafe MCU Multi-Use Brewer is right there in the name — it has more than one use!
The BUNN MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Brewer can prepare almost any beverage you could want. Just choose from 4 different drawer attachments and switch between brews. :
- K-Cup coffee
- Ground coffee
- Loose leaf tea
- Soft pods for tea and coffee
- Hot cocoa
- Instant coffee
- Hot water to top off an Americano
Even better, because you switch out drawers when changing between coffee, tea, and other beverages, there will be no mixing of flavors.
There are 3 small but notables downsides of this drawer attachment system:
- Requires additional storage
- K-Cup drawer attachment tends to leave a little bit of standing water on top of the drawer after each use, so just be careful when removing it
- Sometimes the drawers don’t seal perfectly and water can spurt
Leverage the Pulse Brew system for a stronger cup
Water contact time is crucial for a decently strong cup of coffee or tea.
The BUNN Pulse Brew System helps achieve that by soaking the grounds with an initial wave of hot water (called blooming), then pausing to let the grounds soak before continuing the flow of hot water.
The pause stage is called pre-infusion and helps the grounds release the acids and other compounds that give you the strong cup you’re looking for.
While the appearance of this coffee maker is rather unassuming, this is a strength in some senses. In fact, there are probably few appliances in your kitchen that boast the versatility of this multi-use brewer, yet it has a tiny 10″ by 7″ counter-top footprint.
Water tank is not removable
The biggest shortcoming to note in this BUNN My Cafe MCU review — the water try is not removable. For those who frequently use their machine, this isn’t a big deal. If you only use it occasionally, though, you may not enjoy having stagnant water sit in the machine.
Another consequence of the non-removable water tray is that, depending on the mug you use, it can be slightly annoying to fill the reservoir with water. Not all mugs pour perfectly. You might have some spillage that the drip tray doesn’t catch.
No on/off switch
This coffee maker is activated by water and will stay on for 6 hours, keeping any remaining water at the proper temperature. The closest you’ll get to turning it off is unplugging it, but each time you plug it back in you have to wait about two minutes before you can start the 60-second brew process.
Other notable shortcomings
- Some pooling of hot water on top of the K-Cup drawer after each use
- Some users have reported inconsistent sealing of the K-Cup drawer, leading to spurting
- Dimensions: 9.2″W x 13.2″L x 13.5″H
- UL and C-UL listed for household use only
- 3-prong grounded cord set and requires 2-wire service with ground
- 120 Volts AC | 11.9 amps | 60 Hz | 1,425 Watts